OSHA's Silica in Construction Training Course
|DURATION:||Approximately 45 mins – 1 hour|
|COST PER PERSON:||$20|
|ACCESS TIME:||30 days|
|TYPE OF TRAINING:||Powerpoint with audio|
|REGULATIONS SATISFIED:||Meets the requirements for OSHA’s new Silica in Construction standard found in 29 CFR 1926.1153.
*Employers, supervisors, or competent Persons should take our Silica in Construction for Employers or Competent Persons course #1301
Subjects: OSHA Safety Courses
Price: US $20.00
This training course provides instruction to all employees who work in construction fields about the dangers of silica dust inhalation. Hazmat School offers this and other educational resources to ensure your business complies with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations. Our instructional materials are affordable and convenient, and our anytime online access gives your employees flexibility.
Respirable silica particles can enter the body through the lungs and cause various health concerns, including lung cancer and kidney disease. When employees know of the dangers and the symptoms, they can use safe operational practices and take the proper measures to avoid this substance on job sites.
Silica Safety Training Available Online
This OSHA silica construction course offered by Hazmat School lasts approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour. During the training course, you will view a PowerPoint with audio, which gives instructions related to OSHA’s new respirable silica standards. The course access fee is $20 per person, but government employees and employers purchasing group courses are eligible for discounts. Once the course fee has been paid, employees can take the course at any time during the next 30 days.
The online course access makes it easier for participants to receive certification according to their schedules. Many participants choose to take their silica awareness classes from the comfort of their homes. Hazmat School also offers 24/7 assistance from instructors to answer any questions that participants may have during the course.
What Is Silica Awareness Training?
The primary purpose of this training course is to teach employees about the dangers of silica dust inhalation and the long-term effects of inhalation over time. The training materials provide suggestions for safe work practices employees can use to minimize the threat of inhaling respirable crystalline silica and prevent harmful exposure. These methods may include wet processes to keep dust from entering the air or exhaust systems that push silica dust away from employees.
The training course applies to employees who work in various construction fields, as silica dust can be generated by working with sand, stone, concrete, bricks and other common building materials.
Who Is This Class Intended For?
Our Silica in Construction course provides instruction to employees in any construction environment where they may be exposed to rock, concrete and similar harmful particulates.
- Identify OSHA’s new Respirable Crystalline Silica Standard found in Construction in 29 CFR 1926.1153 and its principal requirements.
- Explain what respirable crystalline silica is and the health hazards associated with it.
- Know the specific tasks in the workplace that could result in exposure to respirable crystalline silica.
- Know the types of control measures and respiratory protection for respirable crystalline silica.
- Recognize employer responsibilities and employee rights under the standard on respirable crystalline silica.
Industries That Require This Course
OSHA requires proper training for all businesses in the construction and maritime industries as well as any other general industries where workers may be exposed to silica. Silica construction training courses and silica awareness courses help prevent employee injury and health problems that could arise from exposure to and improper handling of silica or silica-laced materials.
Silica dust poses a serious health risk to employees across many industries, but the construction industry must follow especially strict OSHA guidelines, which include silica training courses, due to the increased risk of silica exposure on the job site.
The ultimate goal of our silica compliance training online is to help businesses in the construction, maritime and general sectors improve job site safety by preventing and properly handling employee exposure to silica. In our silica awareness training course for employees in the construction industry, we set the following objectives:
- Preparing workers in the construction industry to properly handle materials containing silica and silica-laden environments
- Educating employers in the construction industry on how to keep silica levels in working environments as close to the action level as possible (25 micrograms per square meter of workspace)
- Providing construction workers with a thorough understanding of the safety risks involved with silica exposure
- Educating construction workers and employers on the state and federal regulations regarding crystalline silica exposure on the job site.
The Regulations Satisfied by This Course
The silica training courses we offer are designed to satisfy the requirements of OSHA’s 29 CFR 1926.1153, which requires businesses in the construction industry to limit worker exposure to silica.
While earning our silica training certification, construction employees will learn about the following silica safety topics:
- Different forms of silica and their health risks
- How to identify respirable and visible silica dust
- Plans for silica exposure control
- Proper protective clothing and equipment
- The components of a silica exposure and protection plan
- Silica testing basics
- What to do after silica exposure
- Housekeeping practices for minimizing silica exposure
- Dust collection systems, respiratory protection, ventilation systems and other environmental safety controls
- Any other essential silica safety topics required for silica training certification
Levels of Training
OSHA requires silica safety and awareness training for all employers and employees in the California construction sector and any general industries where workers are at risk for silica exposure. We offer silica training courses for the following levels:
- Silica compliance training online for employers and supervisors
- Silica compliance training online for employees
FAQs About Silica in Construction Training
- What materials are needed? Participants will need a computer or tablet with internet access, and an email address is required to create an account. Beyond purchasing the course, you will not need to buy other course materials. The course can be completed online, or you may download course materials and complete training offline.
- How is the course graded? After completing the audio PowerPoint, you must take a quiz and achieve a grade of 75% or higher to receive certification. You may retake the quiz three (3) times to attain a passing grade. The questions use a multiple-choice and true/false format.
- How long will I have to complete the course? The course is designed to be self-paced. You can complete training in segments rather than all at once. The course should take about an hour to complete, and you can take it at any time during the 30 days after purchase. After one month, you will need to reenroll.
- What accreditations does this course meet? We offer silica training courses that meet OSHA’s requirements for personnel in the construction industry. Upon passing this silica training certification course, participants will receive an immediate PDF certificate.
Earn Your Crystalline Silica Training Certification With Hazmat School
The Hazmat School offers comprehensive safety training for professionals in a wide range of industries. This course provides training to help employees in various construction industries identify silica hazards in their workplace and learn the proper safety measures to promote health on the job site. We offer the course online so that your employees can take it at the time most convenient for their schedules. We also offer affordable prices to enable businesses and individuals to access the training they need.
To sign up for your OSHA-accredited silica awareness training course, register for an online account today and contact us with any questions.
Group & Government Discounts
On-Call 24/7 Remote Instructor Help
Useful Links & Reference Books Included With Courses
Corporate Accounts For Managing & Enrolling Groups
100% Guaranteed To Meet Your Regulatory Requirements
More OSHA Safety Courses
29 CFR 1915.1001,
29 CFR 1926.1101, and
AHERA 40 CFR 763.92(a)(1)