OSHA Excavation Safety Training for Competent Persons (2 Hour)
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS CLASS?
Any employees who enter excavations and trenches are required to receive excavation and trenching safety training. This online OSHA Excavation Safety training course is self-paced and has interactive exercises and quizzes to meet the OSHA excavation safety training requirement for competent persons under 29 CFR 1926.650-652. Complete your OSHA excavation safety training obligation online in your spare time and receive an OSHA Excavation Safety certificate and 0.2 CEU’s.
INDUSTRIES THAT REQUIRE THIS COURSE
OSHA defines an excavation as any cut, cavity, trench or depression formed by intentional earth removal, whereas a trench is a narrow excavation (in relation to its length) below the ground’s surface. Both excavating and trenching are used primarily in construction for purposes such as pipelaying, foundations and utility work. They’re also among the most dangerous tasks on the construction site, since collapses and cave-ins from loose soil can lead to severe injury and even death.
Where does the competent person come in? They have a responsibility given to them by their employer and the capability to identify soil conditions and establish protective systems to safeguard other workers. A competent person also assesses and monitors the site for any additional physical or environmental hazards, making them key players in workplace safety.
WHAT REGULATIONS DOES THIS COURSE SATISFY?
This course satisfies the guidelines outlined by OSHA within Title 29 Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926.650-652. These codes specifically encapsulate excavation safety within the construction industry. The course satisfies the necessary training for a worker to assume the role of a competent person on the job.
Employers must offer excavation safety training to employees on initial assignment or when there are new or modified tasks. This training must be completed on at least a yearly basis. This course will meet an annual refresher requirement.
Our online excavation safety course provides awareness training and certification to those who need to access or work around trenches, including competent persons who must ensure conditions are safe for all personnel. You’ll learn different ways to classify excavations and soil types, procedures for entering and leaving an excavation, and how to conduct rescues.
The course also covers potential hazards, including soil instabilities and water accumulation or drainage issues. Finally, it offers best practices for determining the protective and support systems to deploy (i.e., shielding, sloping, shoring) given the on-site conditions.
Upon completion of this excavation safety training course, you should be able to do the following:
- Find the excavation and trenching regulations in 29 CFR 1926.650-652..
- Understand the background and importance of excavation techniques. Give examples of different types of excavations found on the worksite.
- Be able to define the different types of excavations. This can include, but is not limited to excavation, trench, sloped excavations, and the importance of maximum allowable slope.
- Know the relationship between different types of soils. Know what is meant by competent soil, incompetent soil, and stratigraphy.
- Know the potential hazards posed by excavations. This includes, but may not be limited to, cave-ins, falls and equipment, water accumulationand standing water, electric shock, structural stability, and hazardous atmospheres.
- Know the different types of soils. This includes stable rock, Type A soils, Type B soils, Type C soils, and layered soils.
- Know basic procedures on how to determine soil type.
- Know how and when shoring system are to be put in place. Be able to identify the right type of materials to be used for shoring systems.
- Know how and when shielding is used in excavations.
- Know how to remove support systems and what to do with spoils.
- Know the responsibilities of those who work with excavations. This includes awareness-trained personnel and the Competent Person. The need and importance of an inspection program is also included.
- Learn procedures necessary to safely work around excavations on the job. This includes how to cross trenches, proper entry and exit from excavations, exposure to vehicles, exposure to falling loads, warning systems, and emergency response.
Students may have to complete review sections along the way and a final exam at the end of the course. You will need a computer or iPad with Internet access and an email account. No text is required; all course materials are available online. The course will take approximately 2 hours to complete.
Passing this course requires completing the multiple choice or true/false exam with a grade of 75% or better. If you do not receive a grade of at least 75% on the final quiz, you may retake the quiz up to a total of three (3) times.
COURSE SCHEDULE AND DEADLINES
The course is designed to be self-paced. You will have 30 days to complete it and can come and go as you need. After one month, you will need to re-enroll. Upon successful completion of the course you will receive a pdf certificate right away.
ACCREDITATION, CERTIFICATION AND CUES
Your certificate in excavation safety will be delivered to your email account. You can download, print and send the certification to employers and state regulators as proof of your training. This course also counts as 0.2 Continuing Education Units if you select it as part of your continuing education.
WHY CHOOSE HAZMAT SCHOOL?
You must comply with OSHA’s standards on excavation safety, and the way your workers are trained makes a difference. Hazmat School offers certified and 100% online safety courses in excavation and other OSHA-mandated training requirements. These courses are guaranteed to satisfy OSHA guidelines.
Our experienced remote instructors are available around-the-clock to assist students with any questions. Corporations can set up accounts and enroll multiple employees at once, plus receive access to individual progress reports. You can take advantage of our group and government discounts to get quality training at an even better price.
To register for our OSHA excavation safety course or receive more information, call us at 877-OSHA-NOW (674-2699) or contact us online today.
Why Choose Hazmat School?
Group & Government Discounts
On-Call 24/7 Remote Instructor Help
Useful Links & Reference Books Included With Courses
Corporate Accounts For Managing & Enrolling Groups
100% Guaranteed To Meet Your Regulatory Requirements
More OSHA Safety Courses
29 CFR 1915.1001,
29 CFR 1926.1101, and
AHERA 40 CFR 763.92(a)(1)