Heat Illness Prevention Training
Cal-OSHA Heat Illness Prevention is intended for employees that work outdoors, in conditions that induce heat stress and heat illness. The course will also familiarize the student with the basics of heat stress awareness, symptoms, illnesses, preventive measures, and medical surveillance. This course is intended to familiarize the student with the basics of the Heat Illness Prevention standard.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS CLASS?
This course is designed for all employees including:
- Construction Workers
- General Industry Workers
- DOT/Transportation Workers
- Manufacturing Workers
- Managers and Supervisors
- Meet the training requirements of 8 CCR 3395(h) and the General Duty Clause for heat illness prevention.
- Demonstrate environmental and personal risk factors for heat illness including job function, clothing and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Demonstrate an understanding of the different types of heat illnesses, the symptoms of each, and when to report an illness to a supervisor and/or emergency medical services
- Demonstrate an understanding of what steps can be taken to prevent heat illness including employer-supplied equipment including water, shade, rest breaks, and first aid.
- Identify how acclimatization can reduce the impact of high temperatures.
- Understand how to work with emergency medical services if a heat illness occurs.
- Understand supervisor responsibilities including the same as employees, but also what action to take if an employee has a heat illness, emergency response procedures, and monitoring local weather.
You will need a computer or iPad with internet access and an email account. You will also need to make sure your flash is enabled. No text is required; all course materials are available online. The course will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. You can download the course if needed also.
Passing this course requires completing the 10 question multiple choice or true/false exam with a grade of 75% or better. If you do not receive a grade of at least 75% on the final quiz, you may retake the quiz up to a total of three (3) times.
COURSE SCHEDULE AND DEADLINES
The course is designed to be self-paced. You will have 30 days to complete it and can come and go as you need. After one month, you will need to re-enroll. Upon successful completion of the course you will receive a pdf certificate right away.